Try biking to work next week – It’s Bike To Work week!
Next week (May 17-21, 2010) is Bike To Work Week. This is one week in May each year where there are events and activities that encourage people to try biking to work. If you haven’t tried biking to work before, why not try it next week! In today’s video I give 5 easy tips to think about if you want to try a new bike commute.
Below are the details of events in the Chapel Hill/Carrboro area. In addition to the events, Cycle 9 is offering FREE inspections of your bike all week and will have some in-store specials going.
There may be events in your area. Check these web resources and your lcoal media to see what’s going on.
What other tips do you have for biking to work? Add your comments below.
Events in Chapel Hill and Carrboro:
In addition to these events, if you take the Smart Commute Challenge, you could win fabulous prizes! All you have to do is try an alternate form of transportation one time during the month of May. See info at the end.
Saturday, May 15: Bus & Bike Workshops: Information on how to load a bike onto a bus, hands-on demonstrations and information about rules of the road.
– Estes Drive (University Mall) Farmers Market – 8:30 a.m. to Noon
– Carrboro Town Commons Farmers Market – 8:30 a.m. to Noon
Tuesday, May 18: Bike Breakfast Workshop – 7 to 10 a.m.: Meet in the parking lot across from the Open Eye Café for bicycle inspections and small repairs, special drawings and free coffee and snacks!
Friday, May 21: Bike Chapel Hill-Carrboro – An 8-mile cycling event for individuals or families ending with food, bands and other fun activities!
– 5:30 p.m.: Registration at the Wallace Deck (no fee). Bring your bicycle!6 p.m.: Tour begins.
– 6:30: Cyclists stop for water break at Carrboro Town Commons where Chapel Hill and Carrboro leaders will make comments and join the ride.
– 7 p.m.: The group finishes on the Wallace Deck in Chapel Hill with a band, food and informational tables.
Take the SmartCommute Challenge! Use any form of alternative transportation (bike, walk, carpool, bus, etc.) at least once before May 30 and register at SmartCommuteChallenge.org. You will be entered into a drawing for $1500, laptop computers and other great prizes!